Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mold making... failed?

Thinking that I might be making more mini-foods in near future, I thought it'd be good to make some molds for these plates and bowls, which are essential in displaying my mini-food. The process was slightly more complicated than normal plate making processes without molds, but sure enough it will be sustainable for a long run and give you a standardised plate/bowl. 

Plates and bowl. The shapes are a bit off though. 
Without Amazing mold putty or silicone mold maker that I can find in Malaysia, and Sculpey mold maker is so expensive, I decided to use some scrap clay to make these molds. I adapted a few tutorials to make these. Problem with scrap clay mold is that they are not flexible, so your raw clay will likely get stuck inside the mold if you press too hard and deep in. I suggest to brush the mold with water before you stuff your clay in and the clay will fall off easily. Cornstarch seems to be useful but I find it hard to pull than using water; also they tend to leave my clay powdery after curing...


And this is also another mold made from toothpaste cap for cupcakes. Also made of scrap clay, and certain clays just didn't want to part with my mold... ):

Small cup made from mold. Cute??
Of course dedicated materials for molds are still the best things to have but if you're out of budget, I guess this are some things that you could try! Oh and here are some other alternatives:
Jello-molds made of gelatin and glycerine: here.
Hot glue gun mold: here.
Silicone mold: herehere and here.
Using air dry clay: here.

Let me know if you tried them.

No comments:

Post a Comment