Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Where to buy polymer clay in Malaysia?

(Updated as at October 11, 2016)

After so many attempts to look for polymer clay in Malaysia, more specifically in KL, I almost gave up. Through many forums (old and newly posted ones), Q&A pages and everything, finally I found a few (literally a few) of them who can help you if you're equally lost as well.

1. Multifilla Art & Craft Supplies (Seri Kembangan; NEW branch: 10 Boulevard, PJ)
This is one of the shops that sell complete range of crafting products. Their websites say them all and it is run by an old lovely couple. They are very helpful and will guide you through if you're a beginner. They have the famous brands of polymer clay, including FIMO (soft, classic, effect), Premo, Sculpey, and some Kato Polyclay to begin with. They also sell all kinds of tools.
I bought some FIMO soft and FIMO classic along with eye pins from them. FIMO is a standardised brand so expect the clay to be of similar and standard quality compared to other clays. Kato is really hard for me; it took me a long time to just condition the clay.
Bear in mind standard branded clays are not cheap so if you're budget tight I suggest you to read on.
2. STAEDTLER Malaysia online shop @ Rakuten
This site has closed down along with the termination of Rakuten services in Malaysia.
3. Artfriend (The Gardens, the Curve)
A Singapore-based chain store selling a wide range of crafting supplies, from pencils, water colours, various paints, beads and chains, to miniature building materials. You can easily find any (almost, any) kind of clay-related products you're looking for in this shop, be it polymer clay (air dry clay, paper clay, etc.), glaze, clay tools, pasta machine (for clay), and more! It's really a fun place where I could spend hours in it, looking at each items, drooling, but not buying them... Yes, it could be expensive! (e.g. Silicone mold maker at price of more than a hundred bucks..!)
One note, the outlet in the Curve is much bigger, and spacious.  
4. Craft Haven (One Utama)
This is another physical shop that sells polymer clay and other art materials in a shopping mall. Will not comment much as I have not been to that place just yet, and will do if I have some time in the future.  
5.Claystation Yong
They sell all sorts of polymer clay at price about half of those branded clays. Her workshop is located along the main road in Setapak so it's not difficult to find. They also offer various tools and other crafting materials (especially felts).
They have recently put up an e-shop but I am no longer sure if the workshop is still open for walk-ins, though.
6. Malaysia Clay Art
An online shop that sells polymer clay, air dry clay, and related accessories/tools. Looks promising! Perfect if you prefer to get items delivered to your doorstep. At occassions you get some free tutorials via e-mails. They also organize some competitions occasionally with prizes in the form of polymer clay for what you have created! :)
This is an online shop, mainly focusing on selling tools and miscellaneous for beads and/or jewellery making. Type "polymer clay" in the search bar and you will find FIMO and Monsterkraft. What's best is that they provide shipping nationwide and internationally. 
Please bear in mind that there are more shops to be discovered especially the art workshops or studios! Forgive me if I have not include them here, and do drop me a comment below so as to benefit everyone else (: I hope the summary above saves some of your time. Feel free to shower in more ideas!

27 comments:

  1. Do u buy polymer clay at claystation yong through on9? How they conduct the purchase through on9? I had ordered few polymer clays from the shop 4days ago and I haven't receive the total cost that I should pay to the shop yet..I wonder when I should do the payment n how much I should pay..if u ever buy the clay from the shop through on9 I would like to ask u how to do the purchase from claystation yong..thank you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Did you try adding her through Facebook?
      I contacted her via e-mail initially and asked for quotations. But I decided to do a COD meet-up so I am not so sure about the payment.

      If you could add her in Facebook, you will be able to see her updates on her whereabouts. She could be very busy at times so don't expect quick reply...

      Hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I LOVE YOU (lol, drama queen). Thank you so much for posting these links! :) I love your blog by the way, it's really inspiring. Oh btw, have you heard of Yenji Clay Craft? They sell clay as well, mostly air dry clay but it's pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for dropping by, appreciate that :) Not many crafters around in our area anymore, eh? Btw, I have not heard of Yenji Clay Craft, but will definitely look it up :D
      Meanwhile, Artfriend at Midvalley and the Curve are selling various brands of polymer clay too! (Will update it to the blog soon)

      Delete
  3. You may google yycraft studio and contact facebook miss Ong if you are looking for a versatile polymer clay that cheaper and least hurting your palms when conditioning... no hammer need :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for the input! Will definitely check that out soon. I was quite tempted by your "no hammer needed" line... i mean, well, the most frustrating part is to condition those rocky clay xD

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hello!im a beginner with clay craft. Id like to ask,whats the difference between air-dry polymer clay abd baked clay?which one is easier and have greater strength?thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      I have put up a link on my side bar to answer your question; please refer to this link:
      http://snowfern-clover.blogspot.com/2010/01/review-polymer-clay-vs-air-dry-clay.html


      To answer you in short...
      Easier to play with: Air-dry clay. No conditioning needed like that of polymer clay. Conditioning polymer clay can be very painful without proper tools (like me, heh).
      Strength and durability: Polymer clay. Cure into plastic-like consistency and durable; while air-dry clay are prone to water damage, and also requires sealant if you plan to preserve it longer.

      Delete
  5. I prefer to buy polymer clay at shops rather than on-line. Besides, Mid- Val & Curve, can you pls recommend me other shops if there r any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.
      The other shop that you might want to look for is the Multifilla, which is located in Seri Kembangan (link in the post). Unfortunately beading.my has closed down their physical shop so I can't recommend that to you.

      Meanwhile you can also drop by Claystation Yong, they do have a physical studio, but I am not sure if they will so sale on-the-spot. Best is if you ask them first.

      Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Hi I am trying to get Sculpey Clay but I tried to search for Art Friend in Mid Valley directory but can't seem to find them. Have they moved on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thanks for dropping by!
      A quick search in their official website states the location at The Gardens, Lot T-213; did you look for it in the Gardens' directory instead?

      Meanwhile, I would suggest you to go the the outlet at the Curve, with spacious area, and a lot more to see/buy.

      Hope I helped!

      Delete
  7. You can try www.fb.com/malaysiaclayart. Their clay are softer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi Cloeal,
      As far as I know, yes, they do. :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the info.
    Anyway, Craft heaven in one u is selling scupley n premo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the late reply. Yes, they do! But I have not enter that shop myself just yet. :)

      Delete
  10. Hello! Thanks for dropping by.
    Sorry I am not very familiar with USJ but you can try Multifilla's new branch at PJ if you find it convenient. They sell premium brands of many art crafting materials there.

    Just one thing, I am not sure about the durability of the air dry clay when made into earrings (vs. polymer clay)? Might need to seal it after curing... Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi can you give me the list of all your shops please? I really want clay :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Savanna Lee, the above-mentioned list is all I have for now. So sorry for the late reply.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I search for Claystation Yong on fb but there's no result of the page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I just checked. They have a new website now http://www.claystationyong.com

      Hope it helps!

      Delete
  14. selangor have the polymer clay?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I believe that Claystation Yong is still based in Selangor. However I'm not sure if they still open to walk-ins. You can always shop online from many other sites if you're OK with postage. Hope it helps!

      Delete
  15. Hi! I'm from Sabah. I have a mixed lot of clays wanting to let go. 95% of them are new and never open before and are well kept in air tight containers. Bake clays like Sculpey, Premo, Fimo, Bake Shop and a few air dry clays like Sakerukun, Grace, Half-Cilla, Hearty and Kutsuwa. Total weight almost 10KG. I am letting it all go for RM300. But you need to pay for the shipping cost. If you are interested please email me at m3izi3[at]yahoo.com.hk . I'll send you the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I visited multifilla yesterday and it was such a dissapointment! The clay there was rock hard and even the softest clay I know being sculpey was so hard! My mum actually knocked the black on the display case and it was so hard! I'm extremely dissapointed since I've never been able to find Fimo anywhere else :(

    ReplyDelete